This is just a random post. I have just had a LOT of stuff floating around in my head. I have been following a reading plan on Crosswalk.com to finish the Bible in a year. This weeks readings have me thinking a lot about blessings. I am reading the last chapters of Genesis, and this week we started off at the story of Jacob and Joseph their heritage.
I have a really big issue with heritage and tradition. I long for it, I strive to draw people together if just for the sake of tradition. I used to be awful. I didn't speak to my father for the better part of a decade or more. I am not saying that I was so wrong in that. What was wrong is that I let that anger I had towards him keep me from family functions where I would get to see other family members that I wanted to see. I missed out on several holidays with my cousins and sister just to avoid him. I think that those years, looking back, have made me long for tradition and family togetherness even more for my kids. I want my kids to grow up having their family around, knowing and playing with their cousins, enjoying the stories and wisdom of their grandparents.
Jacob lost his son. His favorite son. How awful must that have been? To just not know what happened to him. To wonder the rest of your days if he is dead or alive? I think that would make me draw closer to all my other children. (Hopefully I wouldn't have a FAVORITE!!!) When Joseph is found to be alive again and moves Jacob to Egypt, Jacob had 70 descendants with him. Can you imagine?? 70 people that you are the head of? All of your heritage? Amazing. I don't even know if I have 70 family members, so I can tell you we are not all living in the same vicinity.
I don't know if I could even handle living with all my siblings and their spouses and kids. But I do wish that my kids would have a close relationship with those family members that are living nearby. I pray that we don't let time just slip away, separating us from each other, over things that won't matter when we meet our God in Heaven. I feel sad for those people that won't and don't step out of their comfort zone to be involved with their families. Jacob moved to a foreign country at a very old age just to keep his family all together. I wonder how far I would go to keep mine all together?
Blessings in Christ,
M
No comments:
Post a Comment