Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Why did she have to die, Mom?

That is what Lexi asked last week upon discovering that her beloved fish, Julie (previously Jax) had died.  Lexi was upset.  She wanted to know why her fish died.  I said it was old and that is what happens when fish get old.  She asked if she would die when she got old.  I told her yes.  I pray everyday that she is old when she dies.
How do you explain death to a 3.5 year old?  Lex said she didn't want to die and started crying.  I told her it was good to die, because then we get to live with Jesus...which sparked a convo on what Jesus' house looks like, etc.  I hope I relieved some of her fleeting fear of dying. 

On the lighter side of this topic:  We went to buy a new fish, got it home, named it Julie (again), and found the fish lifeless the next day : (.  To this discovery Lexi said, "UUuugh,  HOW ANNOYING!"  Ha!  I am sorry I found that to be so funny.  Then, I asked if she wanted to go get another fish.  Lexi's reply, "We can't keep getting more fish, they are going to run out!"  Isn't she practical? haha!  With this 2nd Julie she was not concerned at all about death, why the fish died, where it went, etc.  Is this because she just didn't have that fish-human connection with 2nd Julie yet?  Or did her fear of death subside a bit?  I hope it is the latter.

Praying,
M

1 comment:

  1. i'm a bad friend and hadn't checked your blog in awhile and had to get caught up. amazing michelle! made me think about God and all the amazing things He has given me and continues to bless me with. i needed that moment. you are right ... we often focus on the things we don't have. so excited to see you next weekend and catch up! miss you!

    ReplyDelete